The Babymoon


Isn't this the most ridiculous excuse for a holiday you’ve ever heard?! I'm having a baby so I must go away with my husband!! 
I have heard about Babymoon's and thought, what a joke, but actually, a bit of time away with my husband was actually really really important and really really nice. So here is a Babymoon review from a former sceptic...! 

I work in education so often holidays have to fit around term time (thus often making them sooo much more expensive) and on top of that my husband's hectic work schedule. Originally we had talked about a week away with friends or a few days in mainland Europe (I was pushing for South of France, naturally!) but as the time grew nearer we realised we needed to think sensibly. 

I set off on an online mission to find something. I am a huge fan of Falmouth and having cancelled two Cornwall holidays earlier in the year I was keen. I looked at Air B&B, Glamping, Seaside B&Bs, Hotels... Everything. But I couldn't commit. I couldn't decide if I could cope with being in the car for that long (we're talking a three- four hour drive) and I couldn't decide if I could bear to go to my beloved Falmouth and not drink Cider 

My poor husband left me to my own devices for a couple of days, humouring me when I emailed him links to random campsites with bizarre facilities and features, but at the end of it all I was putting far too much pressure on deciding and stressing myself out. He stepped in and took over and despite being the control freak that I am, I was relieved.  

Mid planning and prep I got sent an appointment for a Glucose Test to check for gestational diabetes (separate blog post coming soon!) and so realistically we had 3 days to go somewhere. I sat at work wondering where would we go, would it be good, what if it wasn't good and I had to pretend it was!? I didn't need to worry, my husband is such a pro at booking places I love, I don't know why I ever question it. True to form, he booked a treat! 

Two nights at The Enchanted Manor on the Isle of Wight.  

Now, a week in the South of France this is not but it was so SO cool! 

We got the ferry across from Southampton straight after my Glucose Test and we were on the island by 4pm. The crossing I have done a hundred times before in my life but it really added an element of 'we are going on holiday!' To our adventure. We drove for about 40 minutes from East Cowes to the other side of the island where The Enchanted Manor sits beautifully next to St Catherine's Lighthouse. 

Prior to our visit I had looked at the website and wasn't quite sure what to expect. The website is heavily illustrated and whilst beautiful, the illustrations I found to be a little overpowering for a website and I kept getting distracted and lost whilst navigating around. In the end I referred myself to Trip Advisor and read an abundance of great reviews and was happy at that!  

We pulled into the car park and I as much as I hate to admit it as a very very serious adult, it felt really magical. My husband laughed at me, referring back to our first Disneyland trip 4 years ago. Maybe I'm not so serious after all, it must be pregnancy making me soft... yes... that’s exactly what it is I'm sure of it... 

We were greeted at the door by one of the owners, Ric. A lovely lovely Australian man who was ready and waiting for us to arrive. We had a quick tour around the downstairs, a snooker room with games and DVDs and the breakfast conservatory and a function room that I presume is used for weddings. Ric showed us to our room and again, I felt all magical. 

We had The Starlight Suite. Decorated in powder blues with lovely cream furniture the room had a four poster bed, a recliner sofa, a beautiful dressing table and a giant television. The bathroom had a great bath and complementary toiletries and robes. So special. I knew as soon as I saw that bed that I needed to lay down in it and remain there for a long time!! 

This was probably the best picture taken, My lovely husband can take full credit ;)




In heaven

Seriously... that bed though!


Pulling up to The Enchanted Manor



We settled in then went for some dinner at a pub down the road called The Buddle. Being half term, it was quite busy with families but still nice. After some pub standard vegetable curry and lasagne we got into the car and drove to Vetnor (nearby little town) in search of ice cream. (for more information about my ice cream situation see here) 

After a quick trip to the Co-Op for some snacks and drinks we retreated back to The Enchanted Manor and put on a DVD in bed. Classically for me, I fell asleep 5 minutes into the movie and as much as I'd like to say I slept soundly all night, I didn't. Not because of the bed, the surroundings or anything else like that, because that was all very heavenly, more because of this giant lump attached to the front of my torso!!  

Trying to sleep as a pregnant person is such a challenge for me. I have always LOVED sleeping and never had problems in that department but the bigger I get the harder it is to get comfortable. It doesn't help me that summer is coming so the temperature is rising. It really makes me sad in my heart, such a simple thing being snatched away from me! Story of my life these days.... 

Next morning we went down for our breakfast and it was lovely. Lots of choices; cereals, fruit platter, full English, croissants... the works! It was so filling I had to go back to bed and sleep it off! Later in the day, we went to Alum Bay and we were lucky with the weather, it was so warm despite being a bit cloudy. We played in the arcade, looked in the glass factory gift shop, didn't queue for the chairlift and my husband ate so many pick n mix he threw up out the side of my car. HAHA It was a sweet little visit but old pregnito over here was knackered and hungry so we set off for some more food. I told you guys I cant stop eating... 

The Needles


We ate at The White Horse Inn and the food was AMAZING. I had a sweet chilli salmon with noodles and hubs had enchilladas. Seriously great food, generous portions and I would 100% recommend. I even had half a lager shandy! What a treat!  

Food photographer I am not but you get the idea.


We returned to The Manor for another DVD. This time I managed to stay awake and when I did go to bed I slept much better. What a great day! 

On our last day we didn't do anything particularly eventful, we just spent time together laughing and playing and just generally enjoying being together. I really valued this day of our break because I know really soon I will have to share him with someone else and so much of myself will be put into being a mum (I plan to try very hard at being good at it) I just loved being together and holding hands and being silly in the car driving about. It was on this last day I realised the point in a Babymoon. We didn’t party and rage on our trip, we watched DVDs in bed, ate sweeties and then drove about, nothing that we couldn’t have done at home but doing these things in a different setting felt really special and I think that’s the point. If its not the intended point, it felt like that was the point of ours for me.  

I don't know what to expect in terms of our relationship when the baby comes. I think we will be tired and ratty and probably fall out. I will feel hard done by and unjust and he will feel pressurised and pissed off but we have to at least try to remain a united front. I don't know how much processing my husband has done about becoming a dad, I know it took me long enough and its my body that’s growing little Plum but I sometimes worry that he hasn't quite got there yet. Since I've been pregnant he has been so supportive and kind but occasionally its those little choices he makes that make me wonder. As time goes on though, he is showing more signs of understanding but overall, I'm not sure. It must be scary for him, a huge responsibility and definitely time to grow up. I guess the reality will hit when there is a baby in his arms.  

The beauty of this weekend away, this little Babymoon, was that there wasn't a baby in anyones arms. We were just be us two for a little bit longer. Time is ticking and soon enough there wont be a free hand to hold and the whole dynamic of our relationship will change. I don't know if I'm ready to share him, I feel so needy this last fortnight I just want him around me all the time even if we are just co-existing. I had a day where I thought the baby hadn't moved and was terrified (blog post to come) and all I wanted was him to cup his hands around his mouth and yell into my belly button like he did when we found out the baby could hear voices. I needed reassurance and he wasn't there. He is trying very hard to work and earn money ready for Plum and he has to go away for work and I get it but really when he leaves it feels so much more brutal the closer my due date gets. I want to scream "no don’t go, we are running out of time!!" But that wouldn't  be productive, fair or practical for anyone. It makes me feel like a child being left and preschool. I just wanna grab his ankles and not let him leave. I have always had pride in my independence and love that we lead quite separate lives and he's been working away for long periods of time for years, I feel embarrassed and ashamed that I cant hold it together 'on my own' but this is all so daunting, I have no idea what I'm doing and no idea what's coming. I need my mate!  

I think no one really talks about how scary it is to have such a change coming not just in terms of life in general but in terms of relationships, marriage. I don't like change and I know it's coming. I just hope I get it right and can balance everything. 

No comments