The Hospital Bag

Who knew that there was a special bag to pack to have a baby!?

I think this is funny. It caused me so much stress because I kept reading all these blogs and articles about how important the hospital bag is and how I should pack it now and keep it close by... HURRY QUICK PACK YOUR BAG TO HAVE A BABY!!!!

All jokes aside it does of course make sense that you need to take stuff with you when you go into a hospital or a birthing centre or wherever to have your baby because all this crazy shit happens to you after and you need a load of stuff to cater for that.

Here she is in her little hospital crib. CUTE.
I would like to share with you all what I planned to go in to my hospital bag, with edits (italic script) of what I actually needed.

(this could get graphic so beware!!)







For Me:

My hospital notes- a given.

"Labour clothes"- as if I need an outfit to have a baby in. I chose to wear trackie bottoms and a vest there in the end but I think I ended up naked? Maybe in a gown...? I don't know. Trust me, I did not care, I just know I was sticky...


A dressing gown- this will probably get ruined and covered in blood and mucus and potentially poo and wee so I grabbed this one in the Matalan sale for next to nothing so if it gets ruined, it's okay, I'm not precious about it! Never worn it, but after having AB I was so shell shocked I hobbled about in whatever and not a single care was given. In hindsight maybe this would have been useful...


Slipper socks- I don't want cold feet... because thats exactly what I want to be thinking about... my feet. Jesus. I think I did wear these maybe. If I didn't then I lost them along the way!

Breastfeeding bra- I'm gonna give feeding a damn good go and I'm gonna wear a crop top to do it and let that be that. I did wear this but not straight away, I wore this after a day or so, just to clutch at some kind of normality

Breast pads- I got reusable ones and disposable ones because I have no idea what is going to happen to my poor breasts. I don't know which is best and I don't know what I'm going to want to put near them so... I got both. Used both, prefer re-useable, but don't worry theres a whole post all about boobs coming soon...


Maternity Pads, Disposable Knickers, BIG pants- oh my god. After you have a baby, as if enough hasn't come out your vagina, you bleed. A LOT. (Apparently for up of 6 weeks sometimes!!) So you have to get these giant sanitary towels and big pants and TENA Lady disposable pants to catch the rest of your body that will be falling out the vagina. What a treat!! So I used the big pants (in fact I needed bigger in the end to not rub on my cesarean wound) and I used the pads but I never did use those maternity pant, disposable knicker things, at one point I did try to put a pair on AB thinking it was a nappy!!


Pyjamas- for afterwards, if I stay over. Pyjama party for momma and baby. I wish I packed more. I ended up being in for 5 days, so unexpected, and I sent Dav for more and more of these!!


Toiletries for me- the regime. Even if I feel like death, after labour I want to cleanse my face, tone my face and moisturise my face. I will want to fall into bed and feel bewildered and scared and this will be the least of my worries, but actually, these toiletries I know will help restore a bit of normality to me when I go to wash all the crap off after I've had the baby. I'm really sensory about having a shower and often when I am anxious I shower (sometimes for long periods of time) so these toiletries are actually one of the most important parts of my bag packing. Ive got shower gel and shampoo and conditioner and I've included witch hazel in case my vagina dies and I need some first aid. I don't even know if thats a good idea or not... WELL, my first wash after having a baby was a bed bath. The midwife that helped me was the kindest of all the midwives I met. I was SO glad I bought things in travel sized pots as well. My first shower after having a baby I had too hot and was sick everywhere (and shit myself) and it was a complete disaster. Didn't need the witch hazel as I never did the push bit so vag is in tact.

Snacks and Drinks- As if I don't already take snacks and drinks everywhere I go anyway...! But seriously I will need these things to keep energy up when I'm getting that baby out! I didn't eat a thing and just sipped water. I don't know why. I think that for ages I didn't feel bad and then when I did feel bad I just wanted drugs. Before we left I ate a watermelon though...

TENS Machine- These are supposed to be really good for pain relief so I've borrowed one and I'm gonna give it a go! Best. Thing. Ever. I cannot recommend this more. I got to 8/9 cm with no other pain relief and its all down to this machine.

CDs- I have some hypnobirthing CDs and these are going to be SO important ! I've been listening to them so much so I'd like them on during labour. AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I had such good intentions and I put this on when things started to kick up a gear but within a minute I believe my words were "Turn this fucking shit OFF!" That said I was able to keep really calm for the first 13 hours or so and it is probably due to this prep.

iPad- I'm not joking, I want to try watch some Gossip Girl, it calms me down... Didn't use it- NO WIFI

Comfy clothes to go home- All the soft clothing will be required!! Should have packed more. Sent Dav home for endless comfy clothing


Car seat- we got this in our travel system bundle and I'll need it to get that little Plum home!! Obviously used it.



For the babe:

This is slightly harder because I don't know what babies need!

Nappies- how many though?! 10?

Baby grows- I'm going with 3?

Baby Blanket- a white one?

Bum cream- this came free from the midwife. I usually use it for healing tattoos so its bizarre that I will actually need to think about using it on a child's bum.

Baby socks- these. are. so. frickin. cute.

Scratch mits- so it doesn't tear its eyes out????

Muslins- these look so soft and nice I might just use them to hold against my face for comfort!

Hat- for its tiny little pea head.

All these things were used and we needed a little more because of our stay being a bit longer than we expected. Everything was too big and because it was hot summer we needed lots of little vests and thats all she wore.
p.s. scratch mits fall off, get the baby grows that have them included. 


So looking back on this I was nearly there with packing my bag and if I had have come home sooner I would have been okay.
I sent Dav home for more clothes, bigger pants and nice tea bags. I also wished I had taken a spare tote for all the gifts we were very kindly given while we were there.








No comments